• Tuấn Anh Phạm

Are overseas students allowed to have a part-time job in Korea?

Usually, when you arrive in Korea as an international student, you get either a D-2 or D-4 visa to study. D-2 and D-4 visa holder students can work in some specific part-time jobs as long as they are allowed by the University, at which they are enrolled.

source: stock.adobe.com

All foreign students holding D-2 visas can only work part-time jobs after applying for an S-3 (part-time employment) visa. With an S-3 visa, undergraduate students can work 25 hours per week while master or doctoral degree and research students can work 30 hours per week. Students must work in permissible fields such as restaurants, shops or academies. Moreover, some schools can offer job positions in their institution, like language exchange programs where students are paid.

To get an S-3 visa you have to submit the following documents at the immigration office:

  • Passport

  • Alien Registration Card

  • Application Form

  • Part-time Employment Confirmation Form

  • A letter of recommendation for part-time work

  • Transcript

  • Business Registration Document

  • Contract

  • TOPIK Certificate

For students holding a D-4 visa, if they want to work, they must study in a Korean university for at least 6 months which means to start work at a part-time job you need to be in Korea for more than 6 months. After that, they can work 20 hours a month during the semester and during vacation, there is no particular limit.

To get more info and reserve an appointment at the immigration office please refer to the following link: https://www.gov.kr/portal/foreigner/en/m020103

KGSP Students Case:

Scholars who received any warning and scholars enrolled in the Korean language program are strictly not permitted to hold part-time jobs.

Also, scholars are not allowed to take a part-time job during the academic semester. However, they can engage in on-campus part-time jobs that are closely related to their majors such as research activities or non-campus work-study programs which are arranged, managed and financially supported by the university.

During summer and winter vacations, a scholar can hold a part-time job within the permitted time and employment range.

Some of the important websites where you can search for part-time jobs in Korea are listed below:

Written by: Yomna Mostafa


12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All